Bathroom – intimate space. Therefore, its design should fully embody the simplicity, sophistication, but most importantly – comfort. Finishing a bathroom with a tile is far from a new invention, but it allows you to realize the most daring and most modern solutions without compromising convenience. The photo below is the best confirmation.
The advantages of choosing tiles for facing the walls and floor in the bathroom
Bathroom requires special care during repairs. Unlike the rest of the rooms in the living room (including the kitchen), the interior of the bathroom should be not only beautiful, interesting, stylish, but also resistant to various influences:
- High humidity
- High temperatures
- Abrasives and cleaners
All this is important because, due to the specific microclimate of the bathroom, there is a high probability of bacteria and fungi that are extremely harmful to human health (especially young children, who all strive to taste)! To avoid this, on the one hand, it is necessary to reduce this probability to a minimum, and on the other – to make sure that during cleaning the design does not deteriorate and maintain a presentable appearance.
On this basis, the materials that you plan to use to create the interior in the bathroom should have:
- Resistant to moisture and temperature extremes
- Hygiene and environmental safety
- Easy to clean
Modern manufacturers of finishing materials provide a wide range of various materials for decorating walls. It can be moisture resistant glass wall paper, plastic panels, drywall , and decorative plaster. However, the most popular and popular material for the decoration of bathroom walls for more than one decade is tile.
1. Price. Huge production volumes allow you to find the perfect combination of price and quality absolutely for everyone. Even with a limited budget, you can find what you need.
2. Tile does not cause allergic reactions, non-toxic. Due to the obligatory roasting procedure, all potential allergens and toxins are destroyed, so even with prolonged contact there are no unforeseen reactions of the body and there can not be. This is especially important for young parents, because children’s immunity is particularly sensitive.
3. The tile is a completely ecological clean material, therefore during its production the environment is not polluted.
4. In the production of tiles under the influence of high temperatures, all harmful microflora is destroyed. Therefore, the probability of reproduction of fungi and bacteria in a bathroom lined with tiles is lower than when using other materials.
Fungi and bacteria can appear at the joints of the tiles, as the walls of the houses themselves are not processed. To reduce the risk of mold dilution on the walls of the bath to zero, when laying tiles, use special antifungal compounds.
5. The tile is not afraid of water and moisture. Therefore, it will not lose its appearance and, with the proper sealing of the joints, it will protect your neighbors from flooding.
6. The tile surface is very easy to clean, it is not afraid of the impact of cleaning products. Thanks to special coatings, dirt and grease can be easily removed from the tile, in addition, it does not accumulate dust (such as carpet or vinyl wallpaper). For the same reason, it is often recommended to use kitchen tiles .
7. With high-quality manufacturing and proper laying tile will last more than one decade. Rather, you will have to change it due to the fact that the design of the bathroom you are tired, rather than for the reason that the tile trim has fallen into disrepair.
8. The wear resistance of a tile for the floor (as well as for other surfaces) protects its appearance from damage during the rearrangement of furniture, scratches from heels and other mechanical defects.
9. The high strength of ceramic tiles allows it to withstand high pressure and weight (for example, a cast-iron bath).
10. The use of tiles increases the level of fire safety. This is due to the fact that it is not combustible and prevents the spread of fire. Tiles for the kitchen on the apron is used largely because of these considerations.
If suddenly a fire breaks out in your apartment and there is no chance to get out of it – a bath with cladding from tiled walls will be the safest place until firefighters arrive. The tile will save the room from the spread of fire in it, and the cold shower – you, from overheating and acrid smoke.
11. Modern tiles can be a true work of art. 3D tile, forming the whole panel and paintings in the whole wall, will become a real decoration of your home.
Determine the material
|Ceramics||from 158 rubles / m²|
|Porcelain stoneware||from 189 rubles / m²|
|A rock||from 165 rub. / m²|
|Glass||from 350 rub. / m²|
Ceramic tiles – the most budget and the most common type of tile for the bathroom. Prices for it are relatively low. This tile is made of clay with the addition of sand and / or minerals. This tile is covered with glaze, thereby creating a variety of textures, colors and even ornaments. Most often, the following types of ceramic tiles are distinguished:
- With dusting
- Matte finish
In the catalogs of many stores (for example, Leroy Merlin) there are many photos not only of the tile itself, but also its use in interiors.
It is not necessary to use only one type of tile to create a bathroom design. Looks great combination of two or three types of ceramic tiles.
Tile, similar in composition to porcelain, but resembling a stone, is called granite. A distinctive feature of such a tile is its practical zero absorption of water. Due to this, such frosts are practically not afraid of any frosts (and, in principle, temperature drops), so it is very often used for cladding external walls. Ceramic granite has a very similar to natural stone texture, but less susceptible to mechanical damage and the occurrence of cracks. Due to its durability, such material is recommended for decorating floors.
Natural stone tile is a stunning eco-friendly material. Today, due to modern production technologies, its price is dramatically lower in comparison with previous years. Thanks to its texture, designers manage to create amazingly stylish interior solutions. However, since stone tile is less amenable to processing than tile or porcelain stoneware, the risk of bacteria multiplying on it is somewhat higher. In addition, the stone only partially withstands mechanical damage and can be covered with microcracks.
Glass tile in the design of the bathroom – the perfect option to create a futuristic style of the room. It can be used both for decorating walls and for decorating the floor. Glass can be transparent, translucent, color; matte and glossy, smooth and textured.
Through the use of glass tiles, you can make stylish partitions in the bathroom or disguise additional lights.
You should not use transparent glass tiles for masking pipes, counters, valves, etc.
Tile size – it matters
Despite the huge variety of shades in the grout palette for the seams between the tiles, to make them completely invisible, unfortunately, will not work. Therefore, the size of the finishing tile will be of great importance for the visual perception of your bathroom.
Standard tile – 20 to 30 centimeters. It fits best into medium and large bathrooms, as the frequency of the seams will not be distracting or annoying. Depending on the direction of tile laying (vertical or horizontal), you can visually expand the room or raise the ceiling.
A tile is considered large if its dimensions exceed 25 by 40 centimeters. As a rule, such tiles are used for decorating the floor, much less often for decorating walls. In the second case, it is better to use such a tile to create the interior of spacious bathrooms or to decorate its individual elements in combination with smaller tiles.
It is better to choose the size of the tile in such a way that it should be cut as little as possible.
A small tile or mosaic has one huge and undoubted advantage – they allow you to adjust even the most uneven walls. However, this tile is very insidious – it can visually hide the space of an already small bathroom. Therefore, the mosaic is best combined with tiles of medium size.
Choosing tiles according to the type of house
Most often there is a combined bathroom in the Khrushchev houses (the bathroom is combined with a toilet), therefore the space is very limited and close – about 3 sq. Because of this, in Khrushchev it is better to give preference to a light tile of medium size, without large drawings. Visually increase the height of the ceilings in such a bath combination of two colors of tiles – light in the upper part of the walls and dark in the bottom.
For panel house
In a panel house, the bath and toilet can be combined, but as a rule – no. Tile for toilet can be the same as the bathroom, and maybe in contrasting shades. It’s a matter of taste. But the size is better to choose both there and there the same, so that the rooms are in harmony with each other.
For a private house
A private house, built on an individual plan, assumes that you yourself determine the size of future premises. Therefore, the bathroom here can be made spacious and bright. This will allow even large tiles to be used to decorate walls without compromising the visual perception of space. For the floor it is better to use porcelain, as temperature fluctuations can occur not only indoors, but also outside.
Nuances of finishing the bathroom with a small area
1. For decorating the walls of a small bath, a tile of medium size is considered optimal. It does not seem bulky and does not ruffle with a huge number of joints as in the case of using small tiles. You can use a mosaic, but only as a separate element.
The bathroom should be warm and comfortable, so cold shades will make the bathroom uncomfortable
2. For a small area it is better to use light tiles in warm colors. Dark colors will make the already small bathroom tiny. For decoration, choose small elements with pictures to create accents. Cumbersome and large images on a few tiles will focus on themselves.
3. It is better to lay tiles on the walls vertically in order to visually lift the ceilings. But on the floor on the contrary, it is worth using diagonal styling.
4. The relief tile will clutter up the space, so a smooth glazed tile will look more appropriate in a small bathroom. On a matte tile, lime build-up from water is less noticeable, however, due to the absence of glare, the space will be hidden.
For a stunning effect of visually expanding the space in a small bathroom, use a special mirror tile.
5. It is better to refuse to create niches with the help of a tile in a small bathroom.
Choosing a color
When choosing a tile color for a bathroom, consider the quality of the lighting. The less light, the brighter the color of the walls.
White color – looks stylish. However, white tile can cause associations with the hospital room, because of which the room may seem cold and uncomfortable. In addition, on white surfaces any dirt is noticeable and so that the bathroom does not lose its appearance, it will have to be cleaned very often. On the other hand, properly selected bathroom furniture and a few bright accents will make your bathroom in white color an example of taste and refinement.
Blue and cyan are the colors of water. Therefore, in the design of bathrooms are used quite often. When using these colors, the bathroom can be made themed; to do this, you need to add only a few marine motifs: shells, fish or ships. This is taken into account by manufacturers and in each new collection you can find news on the marine theme. If the bathroom is small – it will be enough to borders with the image of sinks or sailboats, so that your bathtub will acquire the charm of the coast.
An alternative to blue is green. This is the color of calm and regularity, it is not annoying, even more likely on the contrary – it gives spiritual harmony. And if you want a bit of mischief, hang a curtain of frogs in the bathroom! And the color will be sustained, and a cheerful accent will appear.
For decoration of a tile flower motives are often used. In the framework of the violet palette, it can be violets or lavender. A combination of purple tiles with pistachio or peach accents will look great.
The warmest bathroom in the world is yellow. This is the color of the sun and summer. Even in the cold winter in the yellow bathroom you will not freeze! Along with yellow the same result can be used orange.
The bathroom in pink will surely please the young girls. But self-confident men will appreciate the red or black bathroom.
Tile do-it-yourself bathroom tiling
Prices for professional tile laying services are quite high. But with a strong desire, you can cope on your own. Here is what you need to remember when decorating a bathroom with your own tiles:
- The surface before laying tiles must be completely cleaned.
- The floor of the bathroom can be leveled, but it is better to make it at a small angle to the center of the bathroom – in case of leaks, it will be easier to wipe the water out from there than somewhere behind the bathroom.
- The adhesive solution must be prepared strictly according to the attached instructions.
- To prevent the tile from slipping, the adhesive solution is applied in a thin layer. Using a special spatula or knitting needles on it, it is necessary to make grooves.
- To make inter tile joints the same in size, special plastic crosses are inserted between the tiles.
- Starting to lay tiles better from the corner of the bathroom, which is located opposite the door – in this case, the places where the tiles had to be cut will not be so much striking.
- If you apply the markings on the walls in advance, you can calculate the places where the tile will have to be cut and put into pieces the bottom row, while the top one – with whole tiles.
Read the same about how to choose a shower !