I think you will agree:
It is difficult to find curtains that will embellish a room and hide its flaws.
BUT even harder to choose curtains to the kitchen. Curtains that distract attention from the natural “flaws” of this room: kitchen utensils, tools, dishes.
We have something that will help you make the right choice. Curtains, which will be combined with the interior design, and magically transform the kitchen space.
A selection of 165 photos of curtains for the kitchen, which you can order, and some even do it yourself. In addition, convenient infographics will help you determine the style and appearance of the curtains.
The choice of curtains depending on the style of the kitchen
If your kitchen is made in modern style, then you should choose standard curtains from synthetic, slightly shiny fabrics that are easy to clean. For such an interior is also well suited to modern panel or roll versions: Roman curtins , Japanese and even ordinary blinds. But the original, carelessly decorated draperies made of light translucent fabric will look especially impressive: they will emphasize the lightness of the kitchen and add light to it.
In the modern interior of the kitchen, photo curtains will look stylish and extravagant. As a rule, for photo printing, a completely unexpected drawing is chosen for the overall design of the room. For example, this may be the image of the Brooklyn Bridge on the curtains in the Provence style kitchen, and the kitchen, decorated in the style of a French cafe, will effectively complement the photo curtains with views of the Eiffel Tower.
Serenity and comfort, elegance of forms and furnishings – these are the characteristic signs of design in a classic style. Classic curtains will complete the look of this interior, advantageously present expensive furniture and bring the very flavor that will make the atmosphere truly unforgettable. In the classic kitchen, try to avoid bright accents, rich and deep colors that can make the setting difficult and uncomfortable.
Exotic interior of the kitchen with its colorful multicolor and emphasized luxury is perfect for lovers of exquisite sophistication. Mysterious oriental atmosphere is perfectly complemented and underlined by the photo-blinds with a calligraphic ornament or exquisite pattern applied on them. Feel free to choose multi-level curtains with jabots, svagami, lambrequins, cascades. Brilliant fabrics embroidered with gold, bright colors, fringe and tassels, intricate patterns of arabesques – all the highlight in detail!
Another interesting option for the kitchen in the oriental style is a organza veil with embroidered oriental or floral motifs on it.
For such a kitchen, the curtains are very easy to select, because almost any curtains are suitable here! The main condition – they should not be complicated drapery, fanciful details, excessive pomp. The classical version – light curtains and a thin curtain with English, Austrian, Roman themes. Curtains of French stylistics must be completed with ties, loops, kulisks. Choose textiles from light, light, maximally translucent fabrics to let in your colorful kitchen a maximum of light!
Please note that the cornice in your kitchen is not massive, otherwise all the ease and simplicity of the interior in the style of Provence will be lost. It should not stand out, but only exquisitely emphasize and complement the design of the window.
Particular importance in the kitchen with the design of the country has textiles: it should be a lot, and it is he who sets the whole style of the room. For the rural interior is characterized by the use of the same fabric for the design of all the details: curtains, napkins, tablecloth, chair covers – they are all made from the same material, bribing the audience with its modest simplicity and creating an atmosphere of quiet home comfort. Blinds can also be an excellent option for kitchen design in country style .
For curtains in the kitchen in the style of country most often choose light shades, for example, fabrics of white or cream colors, but always with a pattern! The color patterns of curtains characteristic of country are striped, checkered, flowered, farm-like images (domestic animals, village houses, ears, garden fruits). Among the curtains of light shades are also acceptable options for red, pinkish, yellow, orange, red, orange, light green or pale blue colors.
In the kitchens of the West in the style of country windows it is customary to draw up a simple lambrequin, marquise or flounce. For example, you can sew a lush lambrequin of bright fabric in a flower or in a cage.
High-tech kitchen design is not only fashionable and original, but also practical. Stylish chrome surfaces will be beautifully combined with models of modern curtains, or the window can be left unchanged without making it textiles.
A characteristic feature of such a kitchen is the maximum of free space, light, and air. For the successful implementation of this task it is good to use natural lighting. The window can be visually expanded using lightweight fabric louvers or roller blinds that can be easily hidden in a cassette if necessary. If the window is small, it is better to choose translucent roller blindsthat will let in more light and make the space more free.
Also there are options for minimalist kitchens, where the curtains of rich colors are combined in the ensemble with a modern apron and ceramic tile trim and are bright fashionable accents in the interior.
How to choose the color of curtains
The color palette is a smart tool for the realization of any design ideas and create the interior of a dream. In addition, it is an indispensable tool that helps to visually expand the space, brighten up all the irregularities and emphasize the merits of the layout. For a small kitchen, this is especially important, so designers advise to choose for her light curtains of lavender, blue, light green or pearl colors.
Textile design and dark colors are acceptable, but only for curtain-lambrequins or Roman curtains so that the window decor does not interfere with the light penetration into the room.
The choice of color can also be dictated by the style of the room. For a country kitchen, it is usually a light-colored fabric with pastel stripes or bright colors, for a high-tech one all colors are of a cold gamut, in the classical style single-color curtains or an ensemble of two to three colors are permissible.
Here are a couple of recommendations for the selection of the color resolution of the textile window design:
- If the kitchen windows overlook the sunny side and illuminate the room well, you can choose curtains of darker shades, if not, the curtains can only be made of light translucent fabrics.
- If your kitchen is made in bright colors, it is better to give preference to simple monochrome curtains to balance the balance.
- You can not invent anything extreme and just pick up the curtains of the same color as the facades of the kitchen or wallpaper .
- Neutral curtains or pale cream colors will look equally good in the kitchen of any style.
- To create an additional visual effect, combine curtains of different colors and textures.
Choosing a palette for the color design of the window, also do not forget about the meaning of color and its effect on the mood and atmosphere in the room.
|COLOR RANGE OF CURTAINS||PSYCHOLOGICAL INFLUENCE|
|Red shades||Cause a slight aggression, bloodthirsty. In such kitchens often pereselivayut food and perebarschivayut with pepper.|
|Acid bright colors (light green, lemon, purple)||Give cheerfulness and activity. Such a gamut in the interior contributes to a long gathering over a cup of tea.|
|Pastel colors (pink, turquoise, pale green)||Soothe and pacify the owners of the apartment, stop the bustle and haste.|
|Blue Colors||They will bring freshness to the kitchen interior, they will give harmony to their owners.|
|Green colors||Also soothe and pacify|
|Orange tones||Help improve mood and create an atmosphere of comfort|
Trendy colors for 2018
This season all kinds of gray are very popular, ranging from silver, smoky metallic and ending with rich tones of the color of wet asphalt. A wide range of different shades of gray provides many possibilities for experimentation.
Eco-theme in interior design, including in kitchen design, has remained popular for several seasons. If this subject is close to you, feel free to choose curtains of soft shades of white, beige, brown. At the peak of popularity is the gamut of forest colors: muted brown, fresh green, autumn foliage and soft moss. Supporters of the eco-movement prefer naturalness in everything: it concerns not only color, but also texture.
Another fashionable color option for curtains is saturated purple. For this mysterious shade it is not always easy to find a suitable background, but in the interior with the dominant light color scheme it will always look spectacular!
Unusual textures and materials for curtains, the use of non-standard combinations and high-quality fabrics are popular. Designers advise to choose materials with a pronounced texture and original weaving of the canvas, richly decorated with sequins, embroidery, Lurex. As much glitter and chic as possible! In the trend of the so-called “reaped” fabrics and fabrics, “chameleons”, iridescent in different colors.
The kitchen is a great place to experiment with color and decor of curtains! Where else can you hang curtains with bright bright spots and unusual appliqués? Both fantasy ornaments and ethnic motifs that are fashionable this season can look equally good here. According to the decorators, now is the time to create and express themselves in design without any restrictions. So try and experiment!
Curtains for a small kitchen
The main function of curtains in such a narrow space is to allow as much sunlight as possible into the room. Therefore, the best choice for a small kitchen, regardless of its style, are translucent curtains of plain light fabrics that will literally fill the room with air. Forget about complex shapes and pretentious details: curtains with lambrequins, rich draperies – all this is of course beautiful, but it will only pile up the interior.
So, the basic rules for choosing curtains for small kitchens:
- Textile material should be lightweight and lightweight, ideally – tulle or plain plain fabric. Say no to large pictures; permissible subtle ornaments or small patterns, but no more. Vertical stripes on the curtains will visually increase the height of the ceilings.
- In addition to traditional models of curtains, Roman, French, Austrian, roller blinds, blinds and their various variations are also suitable.
Home blinds with a photo-drawing applied on them will transform any kitchen, and will also give its interior depth and expressiveness. Tulle blinds will look great in a classic interior, and for ethnic cuisine, bamboo blinds are best suited, for example.
- In a small kitchen, every free place is worth its weight in gold! And the window sill is no exception: the curtains should provide free access to it, and not interfere constantly at hand. Ideal – short curtains or roller, Roman, French curtains, which are easy to lift if necessary
- If the window is quite small, you can visually enlarge it by hanging curtains that are wider than the opening itself.
Curtains in the kitchen with balcony
If your kitchen has a balcony , then we can congratulate you on this – this is a great addition to the kitchen space, which can be decorated as a cozy seating area or used for storage.
You need to choose such curtains that will not block access to the balcony. Neither the lambrequins on the top, nor the additional veils on the side, nor the shuttlecocks on the bottom should interfere with the opening of the door. It is also important to note that when opening the balcony door, the air from the stove will fly towards the curtains, which means they must be made of durable, wear-resistant, non-lining materials. If the gas stove is located near the window – it is better to choose fire-resistant fabrics.
Here are a few options for kitchen models with a balcony, which take into account these features:
- Roller blinds , which can be combined to close the window exactly to the window sill, and the door to the floor.
- Vertical blinds – practical and fashionable – for a kitchen with a balcony in a modern style.
- Combined curtains. For example, you can hang Roman blinds on the window, and close the balcony door with a “Japanese” panel. When making them, you need to use one fabric to preserve the harmony of the composition.
- Lambrequin perfectly combine window and door curtains, and in addition will mask the cornice and beautifully decorate the balcony. True, such a pelmet should be high so as not to interfere with the free opening of the door.
And if two windows
Designers are unanimous in their opinion that the best solution for such a kitchen, where the windows eat up most of the space, is to leave them without a textile finish, simply by picking up bright frames. As an option, Roman blinds are acceptable, which can be easily removed to fully illuminate the room. If the kitchen is spacious and there are no problems with the area, feel free to place large decorative curtains on the windows.
Curtains for the kitchen in Khrushchev
The biggest problem in such kitchens – a critical shortage of space. Therefore, the curtains in Khrushchev should not clutter the space and block access to the window sill, but their function is to close the room from prying eyes and adjust the quality of the room illumination. To solve these interior problems, the following types are best suited:
- Roller blinds. They are compact and easy to maintain, easy to roll up if necessary in a roll.
- Roman curtains. Elegant, easy to care, combine minimalism and functionality. When lifting the bottom edge, it is easy to gather into beautiful wavy folds. The only drawback – the form of such curtains does not allow to fully open the window.
- Pleated curtains are made from special pleated fabric, which is fastened on both sides into a single structure. They can close the upper or lower half of the window separately, which helps to regulate the illumination of the kitchen. Easy to clean: a simple vacuum cleaner is suitable for cleaning them.
- Transparent curtain, hanging on the loops, hooks, eyelets. If desired, it can also be supplemented with sun shades on the window frame.
- Lambrequin as a full window decor, either in combination with blinds or light-tight curtains.
The perceived lack of a small room is a quickly annoying interior. An easy way to prevent this problem is to regularly introduce a variety of kitchen design . Get several options for curtains and periodically change models depending on your mood or time of year.
What to choose for the kitchen-living room
Recently, studio apartments have become very popular, where the kitchen and living room are combined into one room. In one part they cook food, and in the other they rest – this distinction should be emphasized with the help of textile window decoration. For example, in the living room curtains can be made the front doors, and in the kitchen – simple and practical. Professional decorators advise for this to choose companion fabrics from collections, sewn in one color and style. Add the fabric from the first window to the curtains for the second – and you will have a great composition.
What are the curtains?
Curtains with lambrequin
Lambrequin – these are beautiful frills, special finishes from fabric, which serve as decoration for the cornice. This is perhaps the finest of all the decorative elements for curtains solemnly adorns the window, making it more expressive, and gives the whole interior a rich and luxurious look.
When choosing curtains with a lambrequin, always consider the size and shape of the window, and make sure that they are successfully combined with the style of the room and other objects of the kitchen decor. Better to give preference to fabrics that are easy to use, will not accumulate on themselves a lot of dust, dirt and soak up all the kitchen odors. There are also special fireproof lambrequins that are impregnated with substances that prevent the inflammation of the tissue.
Short curtains in the kitchen, in addition to its basic decorative function, have a huge number of advantages!
- This model allows you to use additional space at the window. Short curtains, even in a curtained form, do not prevent free access to the windowsill.
- Ideal for window decoration in the kitchen with balcony.
- Visually make the kitchen more spacious and airy, which is especially good for rooms with a small area.
- Serve as a bright color accent in the interior. If your “color experiment” fails – the curtains can be quickly and easily replaced with new ones.
- Bright curtains of small length are more comfortable perceived by the eye than the same long ones.
- Easy to clean: short curtains are easy to remove, wash, dry, iron and hang again.
- A wide range of design solutions for short curtains allows you to choose the right option for the kitchen of any style.
Curtains on the rings
Such curtains, as a rule, are sewn from translucent lightweight fabrics. Their folds beautifully fall and sway from the wind, filling the kitchen space with freshness and purity. The rings are quite simple, so all the attention goes to the fabric, which should be beautiful and original. Therefore, in the manufacture of such curtains preference is given to expensive exclusive textiles.
Kitchen curtains on the rings look great in the interiors of all styles. Wooden rings will be beautifully combined with kitchens in the style of country and Provence, metal – suitable for modern and minimalist kitchens.
Curtains with bay window
For such curtains, it is better to select lightweight fabrics so that the bay window does not resemble a theater curtain. In large kitchens such a curtain design will be relevant. If you competently combine several different colors and textures – this will give the room additional depth. When decorating a bay window, choose short curtains, up to the window sill, or standard roller, roman, french curtains or blinds. Do not overlap the entire window area with draperies, otherwise there will be no light in the room.
If your kitchen has several windows in the bay window, then you should order a separate curtain for each window. But if the bay window has a semicircular shape, then one large curtain will suffice.
Interesting interior accent for the kitchen, which looks modern and stylish, and at the same time easy to implement. The grommets themselves are rings of different diameters that keep the curtain on the eaves, forming beautiful tails from it. When choosing these original curtains, it is important to know a few points:
- The cloth. The heavier the fabric you choose – the greater the size of the folds on the curtains. If you want large beautiful waves – feel free to buy heavy dense materials. But if you want transparency and lightness in the interior – tulle and nylon will suit you more.
- Practicality. Say no to loose fabrics such as velor, velvet, and double-sided tapestries.
- Length. In a small kitchen, long curtains are only possible with lightweight fabrics. Traditionally for small kitchens, choose the length to the window sill: it is both beautiful and practical. If the dimensions of your room allow you to experiment – feel free to choose curtains of any length that you like.
- Combination. The classic combination is light tulle, and on top is massive curtains. If you traditionally prefer a family of such a combination, add curtains on the grommets with Roman or roll, sewn from a transparent fabric. So you keep in your kitchen the required level of illumination.
Beautiful curtains do it yourself – easy!
For lovers of needlework, it will not be difficult to beautifully arrange the window in the kitchen without the help of designers and decorators. In the presence of a sewing machine and a great desire, it will not be difficult to sew a beautiful curtain of the model you need.
First you need to do some calculations:
- Measure the distance from the eaves down to the desired curtain length. Add 6 centimeters to the lower gate and 3 centimeters to the hem from above. In total, you get the length of the fabric needed for the curtain.
- Measure the length of the eaves, multiply by one and a half and add 4 centimeters to the hem. This will be the width of the fabric needed for a standard curtain. If you want to make the drapery more expressive, multiply the length of the cornice by 2.
The next stage is the purchase of a cut fabric. For the manufacture of curtains fit tulle, organza and other synthetic materials, but it is preferable to still choose natural materials like flax and cotton. Some retail chains also offer interior textiles: these fabrics are made from natural fibers and impregnated with special dirt and dust repellents. They are resistant to fading, do not crumple and are easily erased. When choosing a coloring, remember that it should harmonize in color and style with the design of the kitchen.
The simplest pattern for curtains is one or two rectangles. If you have a cotton or blended fabric, it is better to moisten and smooth it before opening it. Measure along the edge of the required length equal to the height of the curtains plus seam allowances. The width of the cut stretch one or two threads, which will indicate the cutting line. Also pull the thread in the place of the alleged turn. This is the perfect markup for future curtains.
First of all, machine the top edge of the curtain: bend the upper stock, tack it, and then tape the curtain tape. Stitch length is better to take from 4 to 6 mm. Tighten and process also side cuts, in the process of hiding inside the edge of the curtain tape.
Attention! Tying the edges of the braid, be sure to leave the ends of the cords available! When the curtain is ready, pulling up these cords, you can easily straighten it to the desired width.
The next stage – bend and handle the bottom of the curtains. Carefully fix all the threads and iron the finished product. New beautiful curtain fasten on the eaves with special hooks.