The choice of interior doors is not as easy as it may seem. What material and what type of design to choose, and how to correctly enter the door to the design of the room – read our detailed article. A selection of the best photos attached.
Interior doors, of course, are an extremely important element of the design of any room and apartment as a whole. After all, the doors connecting the two spaces should be in harmony with both rooms, regardless of whether they are made in the same general style or are inspired by completely different ideas.
So, when in the process of repair you face the question of choosing interior doors, you should pay attention to a few basic rules.
- Naturally, the ideal option would be doors made from natural materials. We will not tire of repeating that good material is not only an aesthetic choice, but also the basis for the longevity of a given design element, and this figure can more than pay back the costs. In a question of the choice of interroom doors the best choice – doors from the massif of a tree or natural interline interval.
- High-quality coverage is another point that you should pay close attention to. It is high-quality coating that will help extend the service life of the door without losing their attractive appearance. In addition, high-quality varnish or laminate – it is also a matter of health!
- Pay attention to the fit of all elements of the door: there should not be any extra gaps in the joints of individual parts, such as grilles, frames, glass inserts or other materials.
- The right geometry is what matters! Only minor discrepancies of a few millimeters are permissible, otherwise you run the risk of further getting certain problems with installation and operation.
- Remember that the door box should be with a seal, and if glass is used in the finish, then it should be of sufficient quality to adequately carry out all the operational aspects!
Determine the material
Doors made of fibreboard, or in other words fiberboard, is a relatively cheap option. Unlike DSP, which include formaldehyde resins, which emit toxic fumes over time, fiberboard is a more environmentally friendly material. It is a plate made of pressed wood dust, the pieces of wood in which in the manufacture of the plate are steamed out, and therefore they speak about the production by wet pressing.
Do not think that doors made of fiberboard look like the back walls of Soviet wall cabinets. By production of doors, DVP are ennobled by pressing with special dyes. In addition, the material goes through the so-called amplification process, which also positively affects its external and functional qualities.
In general, fiberboard doors are a good economical choice, with a number of other advantages: Fiberboard doors are moisture resistant and durable enough to serve you for a long time.
MDF is a great compromise between the price of a product and its quality. Not only is MDF an environmentally friendly material, but it also has an excellent texture that allows you to make any carved elements out of it. Therefore, if you want a door with an interesting decor, MDF will perfectly cope with such a task.
MDF can be an excellent “stuffing” for the interior door. Exterior finish in this case can be performed, for example, from natural veneer. If you are considering more budget options, then you can stop the choice on finishing of artificial veneer or lamination.
In addition to the advantages associated with possible design delights in the performance of the door leaf, MDF has other advantages, including:
- moisture resistance;
- resistance to deformation.
If you want the doors in your apartment to look expensive and noble, serve you for a long time, and you are ready to pay the corresponding price for this, your choice is solid wood interior doors.
Beautiful natural material, wood, has several advantages:
- strength of the door structure;
- excellent adhesion with finishing materials;
- reliability of fasteners;
- environmental friendliness;
- high quality;
- a wealth of design options.
But unfortunately, this material is not without flaws:
- each door made of solid wood is, in a certain sense, universal, because the design of the tree is unique;
- low resistance to temperature extremes and moisture (need high-quality coating and proper care);
- the big weight of a design assuming use of extremely reliable and strong accessories.
Most often, during mass production, the surface of solid wood doors is covered with thin sheets of natural veneer – to improve moisture and heat resistance and to increase the service life. With this task veneered wooden doors cope perfectly!
Many modern styles, such as high-tech or minimalism, do not favor such natural materials as wood or artificial imitation of wood canvases. Futurism of such styles dictates the choice of completely different materials – metal, plastic, glass.
And if metal doors are not the best choice for dividing rooms, glass, on the contrary, do not look pretentious and somewhat simplify and facilitate the interior of the room . The frosted surface makes it easy to fit them into any room and use, including, as a door for the bathroom and toilet .
In addition, the possibilities of decorating glass paintings are multifaceted! The combination of frosted glass with ordinary, stained glass, sandblasted drawings – all this will help you choose a truly unique door for a unique interior!
The nuances of choice and design tricks
Uniform style or violence of variety?
When choosing interior doors to an apartment, we are faced not only with the choice of material and type of opening, but also with the choice of style, which, as often happens, should “combine the incompatible”. What are we talking about? Tell you more.
If you make repairs in a separate room and together with the interior design you want to change the door, you face the problem: how to choose a door that would simultaneously fit the new interior of a bedroom or living room and fit into the corridor? However, this question also haunts those who create the design project of the future apartment.
After all, it often happens that in one living space in different rooms completely different styles get along! A bedroom in the style of gentle Provence, a living room in Art Nouveau style with its natural motifs, a laconic kitchen in the style of mimalism and a retro entrance hall – and each room places its own demands not only on furniture and interior design, but also on the door!
Of course, if you plan to choose a certain uniform style for the decoration of an apartment, then you will not have to puzzle over how to fit the door into two interiors at the same time. If you decide not to go the easy way, then we can advise you to make interior doors to order – so you can arrange them on the one hand to match the design of the hallway, and on the inside – choose the finish option, more suitable for the chosen style room.
You can also choose the doors of neutral tones and neutral design, which will allow you to fit them into any interior you choose without any extra questions!
High interior doors
We are accustomed to standard doorways, on average, not reaching a ceiling of 30-50 cm (depending on the height of your ceilings). However, designers are increasingly offering us interesting concepts with the use of high doors in the interior – literally from the floor to the ceiling! What are the advantages of such structures, in addition to the unusual design solutions?
- High doors can visually enlarge the space of a small room and “lift” the ceilings.
- The richness of choice of style decisions and shades can easily emphasize the individuality of your design.
- The originality of the appearance does not even need comments. Such doors are unusual and to the point.
Independent installation of interior doors
Do-it-yourself installation of interior doors is not the easiest process, which, however, allows for considerable savings in the repair process.
Of course, the nuances of assembly and installation are directly dependent on the type of construction you have chosen and the universal algorithm that is suitable for any occasion cannot be identified.
We have tried to collect for you video tutorials on installing interior doors of various types, so that this process will bring you as little trouble as possible! So, we offer to watch the video: