Comfort for the kitchen is also important as for the bedroom or living room. Especially if the kitchen also serves as a dining room or a place for evening gatherings. Create not only practical, but also a cozy kitchen design will help you kitchen corner. And how to do it better – look at the photo below.
General information about the corners for the kitchen
The kitchen corner is a cozy and compact sofa, which, as a rule, is located near the dining table (although it happens without it). The use of this type of furniture has a number of very significant advantages:
- Ability to accommodate a significant number of guests in comparison with chairs and stools. With rare exceptions, when one of the guests is ready to sit on each other’s knees, kitchen chairs or stools suggest placing one person in one place. In the case of corners, everything is much simpler: as many guests can be placed on it as it actually fits throughout its length. In crowded but not mad.
- The charming atmosphere of softness, warmth, comfort in the kitchen are created precisely because of the kitchen corner. Going into such a kitchen, it becomes immediately clear that this is not a working room for cooking, but also a place for friendly gatherings.
- The kitchen corner, due to its convenience, can become an alternative leisure place for someone from family members. This is especially true for one-bedroom apartments, when sometimes you want to relax from each other or watch different programs on TV.
- As a rule, kitchen sofas are equipped with an additional place to store dishes, kitchen utensils or products (cereals, pasta, sugar, nuts).
- The richness of the colors of textile upholstery (especially from Ikea) allows you to create the perfect kitchen set for even the most demanding aesthetes.
- The extra bed, which can be equipped with a kitchen sofa, will help you out during an unexpected invasion of friends or relatives.
Nevertheless, it is necessary to remember the disadvantages associated with the kitchenette.
- Placing guests at the kitchen table on the couch significantly limits their freedom of movement – to get out of the table, you will have to disturb a number of people seated.
- Kitchen corner sofa significantly complicates cleaning the kitchen, because to move it as easy as a stool (especially if the dishes are stored inside) you will not succeed.
For a small kitchen, a corner kitchen sofa is better not to use, since it will take a huge amount of space.
Furniture in the kitchen
The kitchen corner differs from the dining group in the presence of a sofa. As a rule, a kitchen corner is sold as a single set, but it also happens that all parts must be selected and combined independently. What are these details?
Kitchen sofas are significantly different from the sofas in the bedrooms. Like other furniture for the kitchen, the kitchen sofa should be functional. In addition, it is very important that it is easily cleaned from dirt.
Sofas can be on the legs, and can be equipped with bottom drawers with drawers for storing dishes and products.
Dimensions of sofas depend solely on your needs and the size of the kitchen.
Chairs / Stools
Specialists categorically do not recommend confining themselves to a sofa for the kitchen as a seat.
- First, during the meal, only that part of the dining table, next to which there is a sofa, will be used, which significantly limits its capacity.
- Secondly, even if you have dinner together, it is sometimes more pleasant to sit opposite each other, which is almost impossible with a corner sofa.
- Thirdly, chairs or stools will be useful in the household, for example, if you need something to put on them during conservation or to get something from the upper shelves of wall cabinets.
Chairs and stools, complete with a kitchen sofa, are combined with it according to:
- The wood from which made
- Appearance backrest
- The appearance of the legs
- Upholstery color (for chairs with a soft seat)
However, you can also independently combine items of kitchen furniture at your discretion.
For a small kitchen instead of chairs it is more convenient to use stools, since they can always be hidden under the table so that they do not interfere.
When choosing a table for a kitchenette, it is worth focusing on how many people will regularly dine at it.
If large companies periodically visit you, it makes sense to purchase a folding dining table , which can grow in size two to three times.
It would be inconvenient to use a dining table with solid ends instead of legs together with a corner sofa – the person sitting next to them would have nowhere to put legs.
For small kitchens it is better to use tables of streamlined rounded shapes (for example, oval).
Read our material on how to choose a kitchen table .
Types of kitchen corners
Of course, kitchen sofas, like any other kitchen furniture, can be made of different materials:
- Particleboard / MDF, etc.
However, we would like to surprise more attention not to the frame, but directly to the seating position.
Hard kitchen corners
The seats and backs of hard kitchen corners, as a rule, are made of the same material as the frame (although there are exceptions, for example, a metal frame and a wooden seat).
By and large, this is an ordinary bench (angular or linear), stylized as a common kitchen interior and made in a single ensemble with stools and a table. In these sofas, storage space may or may not be present.
Since there are no soft upholstery, this piece of furniture is very practical and easy to clean. It does not accumulate dust, and you can wash it almost completely.
Soft kitchen corners
The island of comfort in the kitchen is largely created precisely because of the soft textile upholstery of the sofa.
They are very comfortable, and their appearance is very charming.
If you have a soft kitchen corner, then it is desirable to select all kitchen textiles so that it is in harmony with the upholstery.
The most common and practical upholstery materials for kitchen corners:
Unlike other materials, leatherette does not absorb moisture, so it is recommended by experts for the upholstery of the kitchen corner.
Combined kitchen corners
Combined kitchen corners involve a combination of soft and hard materials. They look very stylish and quite functional. Combined solid inserts allow you to use this sofa not only as a place to sit, but also as supports or shelves.
Corner Kitchen Sofas
As the name implies, corner kitchen sofas are an angular design. They can be both solid and modular, which is much more convenient, since if you need a permutation, you can “turn” a corner in the direction you want. Such sofas allow you to maximize the use of the space in which they are located, including the corner of the kitchen. The only, but very significant disadvantage is that it is not recommended to put such a sofa in a narrow small kitchen, since it will occupy most of it and tritely hamper movement on it (including the cooking process).
Linear kitchen sofas
Linear kitchen sofas, in contrast to the corner, very compact and comfortable. They do not take up extra space, so it is very convenient to use them even in miniature kitchens . In principle, one module can be selected from any modular corner sofa and set as linear. The module is smaller, in turn, can be used as a chair and put next to or opposite.
Modern kitchen corner – not overloaded with details. It can be made of a variety of materials. A distinctive feature of the modern soft kitchen sofa is a rich rich palette of upholstery colors. These sofas perfectly fit into the styles of hi-tech, minimalism, industrial, fusion.
Corner, which would fit perfectly in country style, must be made of wood. Best of all, if it is an ordinary wooden bench. However, you should not sacrifice comfort to style, especially since in this case it is not so necessary: soft textile upholstery is quite acceptable. Textiles should be from natural fibers, inconspicuous and natural colors.
Give the old Soviet kitchen a new life? Easy! Make a stylish retro look out of it! Today, the Internet is a dime a dozen companies that are engaged in the restoration of furniture. If you are confused by the price of their services – you can handle the restoration yourself. The amount of effort depends on the amount of work required. But most often it is necessary to update the varnishing or the color of wooden parts and change the upholstery.
Also, the corner for the kitchen in retro style can be made to order or look in the catalog – today this style is very relevant, so the assortment is diverse.
Kitchen corner with bed
Extra bed – never superfluous. Especially in one-bedroom apartments . You never guess when a cousin aunt or a childhood friend comes to visit your city on business. Designs of transformation of a simple kitchen sofa into a full-fledged berth are rather diverse. The photo below shows only some of them, but the most popular ones. However, a kitchen sofa with a sleeping place will not fit in every kitchen, because at least one side of it should be human-sized (that is, almost 2 meters!).
The sofa with a berth has another drawback – the need to put a kitchen table somewhere in order to decompose it.
Kitchen corner in Khrushchev
Kitchens in the Khrushchev, even in the largest apartments – small. And to place in such a kitchenette a full-fledged kitchen sofa is very problematic. It is best to give preference to linear small sofas or a kitchen set of a triple corner sofa, a round table and stools instead of chairs.
Decorate the kitchen corner
From the point of view of practicality, decorating a kitchen corner is a silly idea. But beauty and comfort should not be logical! All their charm is in the emotions that they cause.
You can decorate the kitchen sofa with beautiful pads (which is very important for the kitchen in ethnic style). With the same purpose, you can use charming blankets.
The backs of the sofa, if they are flat, can be used as shelves for all kinds of trifles, figurines and other decorative items.