Shower cabins – a stylish and very convenient solution for those who have the size of bathrooms leave much to be desired. Read more about the types and prices below. Photos are attached.
Shower cabins in Western countries are used for a long time. But in our country they began to gain popularity only about ten years ago. Of course, in Soviet times, when the conveyor was supplied, at best, with several models of one or another piece of furniture, there was not much to choose from. But on the other hand, provided that the vast majority of our population lives in small-sized apartments, where the size of the bathroom is very, very limited, it is a bit strange that the use of shower cabins is not so massive.
Not everyone likes to take a long bath. Such adoption is relaxing, and very often, especially in the morning, it is necessary on the contrary – to cheer up. Taking a shower has several significant advantages:
- It is economical. Water consumption during a shower is much less than during a bath. On average, experts estimate the water consumption in the shower as approximately 3-4 times less than during a bath.
- It is fast. The shower takes much less time. There is no need to wait until the bath is set, and the process itself comes down to direct washing, and not bathing and splashing.
- It is compact. Even the most spacious shower does not require as much space for its location as an ordinary bath.
- It is hygienic. Due to the fact that only running water is constantly in the shower cabin, dirt, bacteria and microbes accumulate and multiply much less in it than in the bathroom.
Choose a type of shower
There are two types of showers:
An open shower is a small tray that is installed in the corner of the bathroom and two partitions – from wall to wall.
Read our article on choosing a tile for the bathroom !
When choosing an open shower, try to give preference to higher partitions, otherwise water (during washing the head) can pour out over the top.
A closed shower is a sealed capsule that is closed on all sides (including the top). It does not matter if you put such a shower in the corner of the bathroom or just near one wall – thanks to the closed structure, everything is protected from moisture.
The closed design also protects the bathroom from condensation, so neither the walls nor the furniture in the bathroom will resist temperature changes and high humidity.
Another undoubted advantage of closed showers is that manufacturers supply them with all sorts of devices and gadgets. It can be hydromassage, radio and even wi-fi.
Choosing a model shower
Shower – the most simple open shower, without any frills.
Shower corner can be:
- Frameless In this case, partitions are attached with hinges. Also for mounting can be used installation profiles. This design looks stylish and does not weigh down the interior.
- Frame. In this case, the frame for fixing the partitions is located only along their perimeter. Most often, in such constructions sliding door type, so from the point of view of functionality and space saving is the best option.
- Frame construction with internal partitions. Such shower corners are most common due to their stability.
Also, shower corners can be of different shapes: rectangular, square, semicircular.
Here you should be guided not only by your taste, but also by the possibility of placing this or that construction in your bathroom.
In a small bathroom it is better to give preference to a small rounded shower. On the one hand, there must be a minimum of space for its placement, on the other hand a streamlined rounded shape of the wings will allow you to move as comfortably as possible outside the shower cabin (you won’t brush your teeth or wash your hands in the shower corner?).
Rectangular shower enclosures are more appropriate for spacious bathrooms.
|minimum||75 cm * 75 cm|
|maximum||90 cm * 120 cm|
A shower cabin without a roof (but with closed partitions on all sides) is a compromise between open and closed showers. Such a cabin will not protect the bathroom from evaporation, so condensate will collect on the ceiling (walls will be protected from moisture). That is why properly take care of the design of the ceiling in the bathroom so that it does not lose its appearance.
Who then need such a shower – you ask? Everything is very simple. This shower should be preferred in two cases:
- If you have low ceilings (less than 210 cm), as shower cabins with a roof require more space for installation.
- If you or your family members are very tall (taller than 195 cm).
In this and in another case, you will not be able to pick up a fully enclosed shower capsule, as this will significantly affect the usability of it.
When installing a closed cabin without a roof, make special drains from the side of the walls so that water and condensate do not flow into the gap between the wall and the partition. Otherwise, this space will become the abode of mold and fungi.
The shower capsule is a fully enclosed shower. Its main advantages are:
- Fully sealed
- Protects bathroom interior from temperature changes
- Protects bathroom interior from moisture
- Equipped with all sorts of additions
- It does not have to be located in the corner of the bathroom.
Among the shortcomings are the following:
- High price
- Requires a place to stay
- Not suitable for very tall people
Combined shower cubicle (with bath)
Combined cabins are also known as shower boxes or hydroboxing. The option when the shower stall also includes a bath is very popular today, especially among parents with small children (newborns) who cannot be washed in the shower. In addition, it is a great option for lovers of romantically soak up in the clouds of foam. Hydroboxing can be a compromise solution for large families in which it was not possible to unanimously decide in favor of a bath or a shower cabin.
Among the negative aspects, perhaps, only the following can be noted: the need for space for location and price.
Choosing materials pallet
One of the most popular materials for the production of pallets for showers. This is due to many reasons:
- Acryl is a very malleable material, it can be given absolutely any shape, which allows not only to make the pallet stylish, but also to shape the installation of various add-ons. The average term of his service is 15-20 years.
- Acrylic – easy to clean. It is easy to clean, does not require special means in the care and for a long time retains its appearance.
- Special paste allows you to correct mechanical defects during use, which prolongs the life of the acrylic tray.
However, the acrylic pan can sag (and as a result – break). Therefore, if the manufacturer has not previously reinforced it with metal plates, it will be necessary to additionally purchase a metal frame.
These are the most indestructible pallets, which, if properly used, can last more than a dozen years. Such pallets heat up for a long time, but, accordingly, release heat much more slowly. In addition, it is the most budget pallets, their price is low. Of the minuses can be noted a large weight and a limited variety of forms (several standard models).
Steel pallets are enameled. They are prettier than cast iron, but also heat up slowly and have a very low sound insulation threshold. The lifetime of such a pallet is determined by the quality of the covering enamel.
Beautiful and easy to use and maintain the type of shower tray trays. Warmer than steel or cast iron. However fragile.
Stone pallets are considered the most durable, stylish and, most importantly, quickly heated. Most often, marble is used to create a stone pallet, although other options are possible. The disadvantage of using natural stone is its high cost. Therefore, cheaper synthetic materials can be used, for example, porcelain stoneware. It is durable enough, and the similarity with natural stone makes it a very popular material for creating shower tray trays.
The wooden pallet is more suitable for the garden than for the house. If the tree is not properly processed, such a pallet will not serve you for a long time. However, it is permissible to use in the shower only some wooden elements in the pallet, for example, as the bottom, on which a person stands directly. In this case, the contact with the shower will be pleasant and comfortable thanks to the naturalness of the tree.
Choosing the material for the partition
Shutter in the shower – an elementary partition, which can be easily done by hand. By and large, these are echoes of the specific use of ordinary baths, in which taking a shower without a curtain is simply impossible: everything will be flooded with water. Keep in mind that if the curtain is not fixed at the bottom (but only at the top) the risk of pouring everything around in such a shower corner is even bigger than the bath if its sides are not high enough.
PMMA, acrylic or plexiglas is a high-quality and demanded material for creating partitions in shower cabins. This material is easy to clean and looks quite stylish.
The easiest, cheapest and most unpretentious material for shower partitions. From it is very simple to assemble the shower cabin yourself. However, the use of plastic can make your bathroom uncomfortable, because because of its cheapness it is often used in hospitals and inexpensive camp sites.
Unlike ordinary glass, tempered – very durable, it is almost impossible to break. This is extremely important for the shower, where there is a risk of slipping and falling. Tempered glass looks very stylish and gives a special lightness and charm to any room. But lime remains on the glass, so after taking a shower it is advisable to dry it dry. An alternative would be to use frosted glass – not his divorces are almost not visible.
Choosing a complete set
Choose a quality mixer that does not rust after a couple of months and will not fall off within six months – perhaps only with the help of an experienced and decent specialist. It will help you choose a convenient mixer for each shower cabin design, tell you which materials are more resistant to trace elements in water, which manufacturers make the highest quality products, etc. However, some of the nuances should be remembered:
- Cranes break less often than the lever
- Separate taps slower but more accurately regulate water temperature
- The taps must have a minimum non-metallic casing, otherwise the hot water tap cannot be turned off – it will heat up
- Conveniently, when the taps open completely one turn, and not endless torsion
Shower watering can
- The frequency of the holes on the shower head depends on the density of the water flow. Girls with long hair will not be able to rinse their hair from shampoo, if the water will scatter in different directions like raindrops.
- A shower can be installed in the ceiling, wall or wall of a closed shower, but in this case you will always have to wet your head while taking a shower. You also shouldn’t refuse completely from the shower attachment – one hand will be busy all the time while washing. The best option is a hose and a special mount that will give you the opportunity to remove the watering can at any time and independently adjust the height and direction of the water jet.
- It is better to choose a rubber or silicone one-piece hose for watering cans, since the usual metal spiral will become unusable in a matter of months.
Nozzles are mounted in the wall of the shower cabin, due to which a hydromassage effect is achieved. This feature will allow you to relax after a hard day’s work and recharge your batteries in the morning.
This device is designed to create steam in the shower. This function is also called the “Turkish bath”, since the temperature of the steam is not very high.
For lovers of real bath manufacturers offer a wide range of built-in saunas. If the temperature of the Turkish bath is too small for you and you want more thrill, then it is better to choose such an option. The specificity of such a shower cabin is that, despite the presence of a shower, it is intended primarily for bath procedures, and not for washing.
Another useful feature for lovers of spa treatments without leaving home. Aromatic oils are added to the steam generator and you enjoy not only tactile influences, but also aromatic ones.
Ozone has recently become a trend in medical and cosmetic procedures, but in the shower the most important advantage of using ozonation is its undoubted killing effect on bacteria, microbes, mold, fungi and other microorganisms. The presence of such a go is very useful for asthmatics and allergy sufferers.
On the one hand, infrared radiation warms up the shower cabin, due to which bath procedures are an order of magnitude more pleasant and comfortable than in an ordinary cold cabin. And with the arc – it has a beneficial effect on the body. Thanks to infrared radiation, blood circulation is stimulated and all metabolic processes in the body are improved. As a result, fats are split, slags are removed, and the skin becomes smooth and elastic.
Wash and listen to the morning news at the same time! Save time with the built-in radio!
And with the built-in TV, you can not only listen to the news, but also watch it.
With this device, you can enjoy your favorite movies, videos, programs without interrupting bath procedures.
To shower you served a long time, and its operation was pleasant and safe, you must:
- Wash it regularly
- Seal all possible water ingress points.
That’s all! Enjoy!